Who inherits my mothers share?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who inherits my mothers share?

My grandfather passed awhile back and left life rights to his houses and property to
my stepgrandmother. Upon her death it is to be split 50/50 between my mother and
my uncle. My mother passed 2 years ago and now my step grandmother has
passed. This was not handled in my mothers estate and my mother had no will. It’s
just my brother, myself and my father left. This is in NC.


Asked on January 17, 2018 under Estate Planning, North Carolina


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Since it appears that your mother outlived your grandfather, she inherited the properties subject to your step-grandmother's life estate. Accordingly, your mother's estate is entitled to her share. And if she had no Will, then she died "intestate". This means that her next of kin are her heirs. In this case, that is her children and surviving spouse. In other words, you, your brother and father. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption