who inheirets what

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 12, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

who inheirets what

We live in WV. My Father passed without a will. His wife passed before him. He had 5 children. One son passed before him leaving 4 children. My question is who gets my brothers share, his wife or his children.

Asked on March 12, 2016 under Estate Planning, West Virginia


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Sorry to hear about your parents and your brother.
Since your father died intestate (without a Will), the rules of intestate succession determine inheritance.
Under intestate succession, if your father had a surviving spouse, she would have inherited the entire estate.  Since there isn't a surviving spouse, the estate is divided equally among the children.  Your deceased brother's share would be inherited by his children.
Since there are five children, the four surviving children each receive 1/5 of your father's estate.  The remaining 1/5 of your father's estate is inherited by your deceased brother's children.  For example, if your brother had two children, each receives 1/10 because 1/10 + 1/10 = 2/10 = 1/5.  Your brother's widow does not inherit anything from your father's estate.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption