Who do I talk to if the trustee/attorney of my Trust fund won’t answer questions about it?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I talk to if the trustee/attorney of my Trust fund won’t answer questions about it?

My cousin is both the executer trustee of my dad’s estate He is the trustee of my Trust fund.

I have questions about it and have addressed these to him in writing and by a phone. My questions are still unanswered. I want to borrow against my trust for a financial hardships but he said no such thing exists.

Asked on May 23, 2019 under Estate Planning, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If a trustee will not respond to a beneficiary and the beneficiary believes that the trustee is not following the trust's terms or instructions, he or she can bring a legal action traditionally called an action "for an accounting" against the trustee. In this action, the court reviews the trustee's handling of the trust (makes him or her "account" for what he or she has done as trustee) and, if the court believes that the trustee is not doing what he or she should, can order him or her to do certain things or repalce him or her as trustee.
Before doing that, bring a copy of the trust paperwork to a lawyer to review with you, to see if the trustee exists. There is no inherent right to borrow against trust amounts for financial hardships--you could only do this if the trust itself says you can. So the trustee may be right; you want to see if he or she is, before you go to the trouble and expense of litigation. A lawyer can look at the trust paperwork and tell you what your rights are.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption