Who do I sue for damages cause by franchise

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I sue for damages cause by franchise

I went to a oil change franchise in Illinois for an
oil change. The hood was not properly latched.
On my way home the hood opened up at 40
mph causing damage to my car in the amount of
2,300. I would like to sue for the damages in
small claims court since the negotiations are
stalled. Do I sue the parent corporation or the
franchisee? If its the franchisee how do I find
out who the owner is?

Asked on October 25, 2019 under Accident Law, Illinois


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

1) You sue the franchisee, since the franchisee owns his/her own business (and just runs it under the franchise).
2) Every state government maintains a database of who owns what businesses and where the business may be served with legal process. In your state, it is the Dept. of State which does this. At the end of this answer will be a link that should help you look it up.
3) If the business is an LLC or corporation, you sue the business; if it is a sole proprietorship, you sue the owner personally.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption