Who do I speak to when my county judge wants me to complete my jail sentence in a county I no longer live in?

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 3, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I speak to when my county judge wants me to complete my jail sentence in a county I no longer live in?

I hired a lawyer to try to get a better offer for me for my probation violation, stemming from a DWAI, but my attorney got me the same offer as the public defender did. The county judge wants to to complete my jail sentence in a different city than I live in which is the city in which the initial crime/sentencing occurred. I no longer live in the city stated where judge is. What can I do?

Asked on November 3, 2011 under Criminal Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you no longer reside in the city that the county judge wants you to complete your jail sentence in a different city than which you reside in presently which I presume is in an entirely different county where the criminal proceeding is pending, the county judge can require you to complete the jail sentence in the county where the action is filed which is in a different city that you reside in.

The reason for the judge's insistence is that the crime occurred in a different county where you want to serve jail time.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption