who do I get Letter of Testamentary no wii

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2016

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 2, 2016Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

who do I get Letter of Testamentary no wii

need help

Asked on March 2, 2016 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

"Letters testamentary" are issued by the probate court. They are legal papers that provide an executor with the legal authority to administer the deceased person's estate. If a person dies without a Will, an heir of the deceased (i.e. a blood or legal relative), usually starts the probate process by filing an application for "letters of administration". In such a situation, the probate court holds a hearing to appoint a person to serve as the estate "administrator" or "personal representative", who carries out virtually the same duties as an executor. You can contact the appropriate court (i.e. the one in the county in which the deceased was domilciled) and ask how to make application for the letters.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption