Who do I contact to find out about my father’s Will?

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 3, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who do I contact to find out about my father’s Will?

Asked on July 3, 2015 under Estate Planning, Washington


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

You gave no details as to your situation. For example, do you know for sure that he even have a Will? When did he die? Etc.

Assuming that there is a Will, then depending on how long he has been deceased, his estate�may have�passed though probate. If so,, it would be on file with the probate court and that makes it a public record, so you (or anyone else for that matter), has a right to get a copy of it.

If it has not yet been probated but if you are a benefciary of it, you would have been officially notified of your inheritance. Otherwise, you still have the right to see a copy of the Will since you are an "heir at law". In other words, since you would inherit if there was no Will, you are entitled to see a copy of it. In order to obtain a copy, you will need to petiton the probate court.

At this point, you need to consult directly with an attorney as to your rights under specific state law.

Note: If he had a Will and you were not notified of any inhertitance by the executor, you may have been disinherited by your father.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption