Who can sue when a subcontractor gets hurt on the job

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who can sue when a subcontractor gets hurt on the job

Im a subcontractor that also had another
subcontractor on the job who feel off the roof and got
hurt. Who is liability for the injury and cost?

Asked on January 3, 2018 under Personal Injury, Maine


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The only person(s) or business(es) who may be liable are any who were actually at fault in causing the accident. For example, if the person who hired the subcontractor who fell provided him with a safety rope, but that rope was damaged and frayed and the fall occured because of that, that provision of ineffective or damaged safety equipment could make the subcontractor's employer liable. But there must be fault to hold someone liable: if no one was at fault in causing the fall, the subcontractor cannot sue anyone. Just employing someone or hiring a subcontractor does not by itself make someone liable.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption