Who all can be charged for the same crime if only one name was on the warrant for the residence

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Who all can be charged for the same crime if only one name was on the warrant for the residence

If the cops are coming to a
house with a search warrant and
on the warrant was one specific
person’s name who all can be
charged in the house. If the
person listed on the warrant
has a girlfriend and him and
her share a room can both be
charged for the same offense.

Asked on July 27, 2018 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The warrant allows the police to search; it does not limit who can be charged. Anyone for whom the police have or find evidence that they committed a crime may be charged. So in the case you describe, if the evidence (e.g. drugs or stolen goods in the shared room) suggests both people were involved, they can both be charged.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption