What canI do if Ireported fraud and have been subsequently harassed?

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What canI do if Ireported fraud and have been subsequently harassed?

I am working for a place that has us doing shady things. It’s a third party maintenance company working on another company’s equipment. We have to turn in billable hours and are told that, “there are things that you can do to get your time”. Basically, we are changing parts that are not broken, fabricating what is wrong with equipment, etc. If something is said, I’m sure we would be fired. Recently a boss was demoted and forced to come back and work with the rest of the mechanics. Another co-worker and I were called into the office because the main boss wanted to know about dirty stuff going on (non-related to above). For example, about people leaving without clocking out, not doing what they are supposed to, etc. We told him what was going on. Later it leaked that we told and now the other employee and I are being single out and harassed.

Asked on January 15, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

You need to seek help here.  You need to report the goings on to the Department of Labor and the State Attorney General's Office.  There are what is known as whistle blower statutes that protect employees from telling on their employers who are violating the law in some way.  IT protects you from retaliation from the employer.  It may not, though, protect you from retaliation and name calling from your fellow employees.  But I think that you have that anyway now so really, it may be in your best interest to take the legal steps you need to bring the violators to light.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption