What exactly is covered by the Whistleblower’s Act?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What exactly is covered by the Whistleblower’s Act?

I am a manager and I caught 2 staff sleeping on a midnight shift. I documented it in our house log and was forced to apologize to the staff. I was also threatend that I may have caused a possible lawsuit. Is this legal?

Asked on March 29, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Michigan


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The Whistleblower's Act is an act that protects an employee who turns in illegal conduct of his employer or immediate supervisors from retaliation and termination implemented by most states in this country. Your situation is a bit different. It deals with a situation not dealing with a per se illegal conduct of the employer (sleeping on the job) but rather an internal issue pertaining to disciplinary proceedings within the workplace.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption