Which court would have jurisdiction on a claim regarding tax return filing error?

UPDATED: May 17, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 17, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Which court would have jurisdiction on a claim regarding tax return filing error?

My tax preparer filled in the wrong direct deposit information so my tax refund has never been received. Rather it to the party whose SSN the preparer entered on my return. The actual refund amounts are less than $5K but believe I will seek damages as well as all costs of court which may push the amount over $5K.

Asked on May 17, 2011 under Business Law, Alabama


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

You will need to first try to repair this through the IRS first because this is a tax court issue over and above anything else. Contact the IRS, explain what occurred and see if you need to do an amended return and see if the IRS needs to contact your tax preparer to fix this and get the information on the other person's tax return so that both returns are reconciled. If this doesn't work, consider filing in civil court against your tax preparer and at the same time, file a complaint with the agency in your state that licenses him or her (if he is a CPA for example there should be a testing and licensing board for public accountants).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption