Where do I sue my ex for not paying the mortgage which is in my name and secured by the house she took in our divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 2, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I sue my ex for not paying the mortgage which is in my name and secured by the house she took in our divorce?

We were divorced in Fort Bend county, however we both no reside in Harris county. Do I file a motion with the county and court that presided over the divorce to reverse it’s decision concerning the house or do I file a new suit in the county where we currently live?

Asked on August 28, 2019 under Family Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You would file in the county and court where your divorce case was filed.
If your divorce decree required your ex to pay the mortgage, you can pursue contempt of court against her.
For contempt of court, you will need to file an Order to Show Cause for a hearing.  Call the court clerk to schedule the hearing.  State the date, time and department of the hearing on the Order to Show Cause.  Also file your declaration signed under penalty of perjury stating the facts supporting your claim and file any other supporting evidence.  File your documents with a proof of service (court form).  Mail a copy of your court-filed documents to your ex with a proof of service to give her notice of the hearing.  The proof of service verifies the date of mailing.  Prior to filing your documents with the court, ask the court clerk if any additional documents are required because the required documents may vary from state to state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption