Where doI sue regarding an item that was supposedly mailed but never delivered?

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 18, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where doI sue regarding an item that was supposedly mailed but never delivered?

I bought a item to be shipped to me in NJ about a month ago and payed $200 for it. They have yet to deliver. We have made contact and they have claimed to have shipped the item but it has never arrived. When asked for a tracking code to check it, we were refused. My problem is that I’m in IN and they are in NJ.

Asked on September 18, 2011 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you can prove you ordered and paid for an item, but they cannot prove it was delivered to you (e.g. no tracking information to show it got to the address you had it shipped to), then you would, in theory, be able to sue the shipper for either the goods or your money back.

The problem is, suing them is the only way to get compensation in a case like this. And for $200, goin against an out-of-state vendor (where I do not believe you can go to small claims court; and in any event, everything is more expensive and difficult, suing against state lines), it is very likely that you could to recover enough to justify the cost and effort of a lawsuit; in a case like this, the compensation for which you may be eligible is limited to the cost of the goods (including tax and shipping).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption