Where do I have to file my civil case in small claims court?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I have to file my civil case in small claims court?

If I live in TX but had an accident, that was not my fault, in AZ with a driver who lives in CA. Can I file a small claims case against the driver and his insurance company for my down-time they promised me, in the county in which I live? They fixed my vehicle but don’t want to pay me my $1,000/day I missed because they were 3 days late paying for my truck, after it was ready for pick-up.

Asked on June 28, 2019 under Accident Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

You are the plaintiff. The party you are suing is the defendant. Your lawsuit for negligence is against the at-fault driver, not the insurance company.
A lawsuit can be filed in the state where the plaintiff resides or in the state where the defendant resides or in the state where the incident giving rise to the lawsuit occurred.
Therefore, you can file in your state; however, small claims court in some states have restrictions on where certain types of small claims cases can be filed. It would be advisable to check with your small claims court advisor.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption