Where do I find the law regarding my rights in regards to injuries received while in police custody?

UPDATED: May 14, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: May 14, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I find the law regarding my rights in regards to injuries received while in police custody?

My hands were bound behind me and while I was being guiding to the jail entrance, an anomaly in the pavement cause me to fall on the pavement. Because my hands were bound behind my back, I was forced to take the full brunt of the blow to my rib cage breaking one or more ribs. They gave me treatment for the scrape on my knee but no medical evaluation for my main injury until the following day. I also did not receive any care other than confirmation of injury.

Asked on May 14, 2012 under Personal Injury, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best way to ascertain whether you have a factual and legal basis for bringing a lawsuit for the personal injuries that you sustained on the property of the public entity where you were in custody is to consult with a personal injury attorney.

There needs to be an investigation with respect to how you fell and why there was a delay in you receiving proper medical treatment for your broken ribs.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption