Where do I file suit if I performedwork for a company inone state if the company is located in another state?

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 7, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where do I file suit if I performedwork for a company inone state if the company is located in another state?

My company did a job in OH for a company located in VA. The work was done at a customers. The invoice was sent to VA. Value of contract was $ 9,700. If needed which location can I file suit in?

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Business Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

In most states venue for a breach of contract action (location of the filing of the lawsuit) is either where the contract was entered into, where the contract was performed or where the defendant is located (living or doing business).

If your company is an Ohio business, you want to file suit in the county where your company is located as opposed to some county in Virginia where the debtor is located. If the contract was entered into via a telephone call or an e mail sent to your business, then you file suit in the county  and state where your business is located.

If the debtor is served with the summons and complaint filed in the county of the state where your business is located, it is required to file a motion to transfer venue to another location within a certain time period or improperly claimed venue is waived for the lawsuit.

Good question.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption