Where can I go for assistance with reducing a charge from a physican?

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 12, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I go for assistance with reducing a charge from a physican?

About a year ago, my primary doctor referred both of my boys to an orthopedist for foot problems. The orthopedist ordered X-rays on each. He spent 5 minutes total examining the boys and referring us to a different doctor. The insurance has denied the claim indicating bilateral flat feet is not covered. The bill from the physician for the exam is $1200. I called and requested they reduce, which they did by $60. In the end I have a bill for $1140 for a 5 minute appoint to refer to another provider.

Asked on September 12, 2011 under Bankruptcy Law, Wisconsin


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you are unable to pay the total amount charged for the five (5) minute referral and examination of your sons by the orthopedist, you need to speak with the person at this physician's accounts receivables and billing office advising that your medical insurance denied payment for the services rendered and you need to work out the situation either through a reduction in the charges and/or monthly installments on the invoice.

You need to discuss that had you known that your medical insurance would have denied the charges by this orthopedist, you would not have taken your sons to him or her for the examination.

Hopefully the orthopedist who examined your sons will understand the situation concerning no insurance for the treatment and would be willing to work with you in reducing the charge and having monthly installment payments by you.

Good luck.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption