Where canI get a copy of my deceased mother’s Will?

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 8, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where canI get a copy of my deceased mother’s Will?

Do I have to go to the probate court in the county where she died in order to view her Will?

Asked on January 8, 2012 under Estate Planning, Florida


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Has the Will been entered into probate yet? If not, then you need to be a beneficiary under the Will in order to be entitled to view it; a copy of a Will need not be given to those that are not inheriting under it.  However, practically speaking, even if an executor declined to give you a copy of a Will (if you have in fact asked), anyone who wants to see it after the testator's (maker's) death can.  Why? Because at such time as a Will is probated it becomes a matter of public record; it can be viewed by anyone. Contact the Probate Court in the county where your mother was domiciled at the time of her death.  It will be on file there and for a small fee you can obtain a copy. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption