Where can I find records of truancy fine payments?

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 19, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I find records of truancy fine payments?

A constable came to my house with a bench and arrest warrant. When they took me to the JP office they said I plead guilty on both even though the warrant said different. Truancy from 03/98; $30 turned into $100. I don’t understand why I would have started to pay for April’s without finishing March. I need a way to prove they messed up. $60 from 12 yrs. ago turned into $260. I asked for the records but they didn’t have them.They just gave me the docket. So where can I find my receipts since I just got ride of them months age because they were 12 years old.

Asked on July 19, 2010 under Criminal Law, Pennsylvania


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

The court would hold copies of payments made.  If you paid by check the bank but as you said, the matter is over 12 years old and they may not have any records at all at this point in time.  I would get help from an attorney on this matter.  Inquire if there is some form of statute of limitations on this type of matter (although I doubt it).  I would also check the physical file of the matter.  There may be something in it to help prove your case.  Really your logic stands. And why would they let you skip March and pay April?  It really makes no sense.  Maybe you can negotiate the amount down if you feel that paying it would be cheaper than paying an attorney.  But at least check out the statute of limitations issue. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption