Where can I find out how to file an entitlement to life insurance benefits in court?

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Nov 15, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I find out how to file an entitlement to life insurance benefits in court?

My sister and I have a dispute about who is beneficiary of my mother’s life insurance benefit. My mother passed away in June. My sister was named beneficiary but she left my sick mother. My mother gave me durable and medical power of attorney and wrote a letter stating me as her beneficiary of life insurance. My sister has filed an entitlement to the benefits and the life insurance company’s attorney advise me to respond. I need to know how to file an entitlement to life insurance benefit in court by 11/21.

Asked on November 15, 2010 under Estate Planning, Texas


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I am sorry for your loss and for your dispute.  The letter that was written, was it written by your Mother?  Was it sent to the insurance company?  What really had to be done was the filing of a new beneficiary form with the insurance company.  The insurance company has to follow the guidelines that they have in place for disbursing the funds.  The thing that you should do is to send a letter by certified mail to the insurance company indicating that you are filing an "adverse claim" to the proceeds on the policy and that you wish them to "interplead" the funds in to court.  then you need to go and get help from an attorney in your area.  I am unfamiliar with what you refer to as an "entitlement" but the attorney can file an interpleader against the insurance company as well.   Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption