Where can I file for divorce?

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 12, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I file for divorce?

My husband and I lived in separate houses for over a year now. We already have a custody case and I am already receiving child support, all I need now is to get divorce but I don’t know where or how to get it done. Also, he just doesn’t want to give me the divorce but I know that if we lived separated for a year all I need is a witness. Is that right?

Asked on June 12, 2012 under Family Law, Virginia


Alan Pransky / Law Office of Alan J Pransky

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

In Massachusetts, the divorce action must be filed in the county where the spouses lived together if one of the spouses still lives in that county.  If both spouses have moved out of county, then you can file in either county that one of the spouses resides.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption