Where can I file a complaint for an unpaid internship stipend?

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 10, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Where can I file a complaint for an unpaid internship stipend?

I worked for a company for about 5 weeks as an unpaid intern. I left the company after I declined an offer to work as a semi-regular employee since the pay is really low. The company never paid me my stipend and the CEO was arguing that I terminated the relationship prematurely and that the stipend is contingent upon my performance. I filed a wage claim but the case was closed due to I cannot prove employer-employee relationship, which the company used as an argument in their wage claim response. I just want to file a complaint and I don’t care about the $200.

Asked on June 10, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Utah


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

The best place to file a complaint for the unpaid stipend that you did not receive with respect to the internship that you partially completed is with your local labor department. Such entity will investigate the claim and initiate a complaint against the company for the unpaid stipend if the facts warrant.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption