When to report a DWI on an application?

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 14, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When to report a DWI on an application?

If convicted of a DWI 4 years ago (sentence was license revoked for 1 year and attending a youth alcohol program – which basically qualifies as a misdemeanor), must I report this when asked in application forms (jobs/schools)? The question is asked in different ways such as, “If you have ever been convicted of, or pled guilty or no contest to any felony or misdemeanor (excluding minor traffic violations) please report below” or “Please explain any criminal conviction, criminal charges sustained against you in a juvenile proceeding, and/or court-supervised probation.” I have also read that “Under MA law, you may exclude from your answer any first convictions for the misdemeanors of drunkenness, simple assault, speeding, minor traffic violations…”  If this were correct, would it mean I am able to exclude my DWI from my answer to this question in any state because the DWI occurred in MA? Or does it mean that I can exclude the DWI only when answering this question in the state of MA?

Asked on September 14, 2011 under Criminal Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The way I understand your question with respect to the questionaires that you have been reading for job applications is that in order to completely and honestly answer the forms for the job application process that you are undertaking is that you need to set forth your prior misdemeanor conviction for driving under the influence of alcohol or a controlled substance.

You might consider meeting with a criminal defense attorney to see if you can have your misdemeanor conviction "expunged." An expungement if approved could eliminate this conviction as a matter of law where you would not have to even place it down on any job applications.

The key is to determine if you qualify for an expungement.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption