When to apply H4 Visa Extension and H4 EAD extension ?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When to apply H4 Visa Extension and H4 EAD extension ?

Hi all,

I am on H1 Visa with current expiration date 02/2017. My wife H4 EAD expiration
date on EAD card is 08/2017. I am planning to extend my current H1 now.

So could you guys tell me when to file H4 visa extension and H4 EAD extension ?
Can I combine together and apply both ?

Thank you

Asked on October 14, 2016 under Immigration Law, North Carolina


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You cannot apply for extensions outside of a 6 months window.  within the window, you can apply at any time and you can apply for both together so that the dates of validity on the extensions are the same.  Just be certain that you apply before the current one expires.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption