When subletting, if the new tenant signs a lease and pays the rent to the owner is my lease done with?

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 24, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When subletting, if the new tenant signs a lease and pays the rent to the owner is my lease done with?

When moving out the new tenant taking over the term of the lease and she signed her own lease stating she will be paying from start to end date. I am wondering if this cancels out my lease terms?

Asked on February 24, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Texas


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

If you subletted your unit out and your subtenant is paying the rent to your landlord as opposed to you, unless your landlord has signed a written agreement stating that your obligation to him or her is over for the rental, you are still liable to your landlord for the rent for the former unit if your tenant fails to make the monthly payments.

I would try and get your landlord to sign an agreement ending your contractual obligations to him or her.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption