What to do if court ordered spousal support is being returned to not having a current address?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if court ordered spousal support is being returned to not having a current address?

We have had court ordered spousal support returned due to my husband’s ex refusing mail from us and moving out of state. She has not provided us her current address, even though it was court ordered.

Asked on September 5, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

When the support is returned to (from your question, it appears that you are mailing it), keep the returned envelopes or other proof of return; even if you void the checks out, put the money aside, in a separate bank account so you have it available at need. Keep evidence (e.g. emails) of all your attempts to contact her and get a new address, etc. You want to be able to prove when she almost inevitably does seek the support (e.g. goes to court and tries to claim you are not paying it) that you have the money and made good faith efforts to pay it, but that she did not cooperate; that way, your husband should be able to avoid liability.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption