When someone resigns due to harassment from management, what (if any) rights do they have after the fact?

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 7, 2009Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When someone resigns due to harassment from management, what (if any) rights do they have after the fact?

i feel i was left to suffer in silence after i reported workplace abuse to upper management and was never followed up with a resolution. when i went over this managerial staff to senior mgmt i experienced retaliation – i was put on antidepressants during my employment and as a result resigned due to fear of continued harassment.

Asked on June 7, 2009 under Employment Labor Law, Massachusetts


J.V., Member, New Jersey Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 13 years ago | Contributor

If you believe you were discriminated against, harassed, etc than the best advice i can give you is to contact a local attorney who specializes in this area of law. What can be done all depends on the specifics of the situation and without all the facts I cannot tell you if you in fact do have any options.

What you need to do is get your employment contract together and see what it guarantees you. Also get all the facts with regard to who you spoke to about this what they did or didn't do, who harassed you how when etc.

Once you have all the paperwork together consult with an attorney to determine if in fact there is a case to proceed with

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption