What to do if an executor wants to step aside?

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 15, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if an executor wants to step aside?

My father had a Will that provided all of his children receive an equal stake in his assets. My sister is the Executor. She wanted to opt out of being responsible for selling the house. Is she required to follow the sale through or can the rest of us sell it?

Asked on June 15, 2011 under Estate Planning, Maryland


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am a bit confused about this question because I can not tell if your sister wants to step down entirely  called "renouncing" - or if she just does not feel like fulfilling that part of her duties.  She has to o it all and she can not pick and choose what she wants and does not want to do.  But there may be a solution: why does not one of you become the co-executor? Then you can carry out the wishes of your Father and the duties of the estate together.  It can be very daunting to be responsible for the probating of an estate alone.  Good luck to you.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption