When owner sells house, what happens to renter still under lease?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When owner sells house, what happens to renter still under lease?

Our landlord sold the house we are currently renting. Our lease isn’t up for another 3 months. How long are they supposed to give us to get out? They are trying to only give us 2 weeks? Can this happen? We just found out yesterday and we haven’t found a new place to go yet.

Asked on July 13, 2018 under Real Estate Law, Kentucky


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

Unless the terms of the lease provide otherwise, you are entitled to stay until the end of your lease; it cannot be terminated due to a sale. The fact is that the new owner must take the property subject to your tenancy. If your landlord tried to evict you, then you should consult a real estate attorney who handles landlord/tenant cases or try to contact a tenant's rights group in your area.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption