If an original contract is altered after it has been signed, is it still legitimate?

UPDATED: Mar 29, 2013

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If an original contract is altered after it has been signed, is it still legitimate?

Asked on March 29, 2013 under Business Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

A contract may be altered after it has bbeen signed only if--

1) all the parties to the change agreed to it, since a contract can always be changed or modified by mutual consent; this is often shown by all the parties initially next to the change, or executing a new piece of writing (e.g. an amendment or rider) with the change.

2) the contract itself provides that one of the parties  may change it after the fact, and the party does so in full compliance with the terms of the contract.

Barring the above, no--one party to a contract may NOT unilaterally change or alter it after execution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption