When is property considered legally abandoned?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When is property considered legally abandoned?

My boyfriend moved out of my house. He took all his belongings except for a

storage container. I haven’t seen or heard from him in 3 weeks. Can I legally enter the container? I have keys for both locks but he welded door shut. Can I legally remove

welding and enter container?

Asked on March 22, 2016 under Real Estate Law, Oklahoma


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If he was not a tenant (i.e. not renting from you), there is no law specifically addressing the time period. Best would be to send him a letter, sent some way or ways you can prove delivery (such as fed ex with tracking; certified mail) giving him 30 days to make arrangements with you to retrieve the container or the container will be considered abandoned and you will dispose of it however you like. Then send him another notice with 10 days to ago, reminding him of the deadline. If that after that he does not retrieve it, you should be able to safely dispose of it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption