What to do if about an accident by an unauthorized driver?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What to do if about an accident by an unauthorized driver?

When I was offered a loaner car, I had my friend sign the loaner car agreement, as he will be only person driving the car. Agreeement had my insurance information. His 17 year old son took the car and met with an accident by hitting a minor. Now I’m being held responsible for all the accident payments including lawsuit amount for the minor from my pocket as it is exceeding my insurance limit. Am I responsible for these payments, when I made sure that the contract is signed by the person who is going to be in charge of the rental vehicle.

Asked on December 30, 2012 under Accident Law, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Based upon what you have written about your friend should be on the hook for allowing his minor son to drive the vehicle that you signed for in addition to the minor son.

Given what you have written, I suggest that you consult with a personal injury attorney as to bringing a claim against your friend and his son for the expenses that you are incuring out of pocket.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption