If I’ve been divorced for 7 years, it is too late to take my husband back to court regarding support?

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2012

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Dec 30, 2012Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If I’ve been divorced for 7 years, it is too late to take my husband back to court regarding support?

When I was divorced my husband “suggested” he pay $1500 per month in maintenance to me. That lasted about a year or so; it then went to $900 for 3 years. I purchased my house at the time with this $1500 in mind and now I am really struggling.

Asked on December 30, 2012 under Family Law, Missouri


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Whether or not you can seek some semblance of spousal support depends upon what the marital dissolution agreement states. As such, you need to carefully read it as well as all other support orders issued by the court and then consult with a family law attorney to see if a petition to increase spousal support is a viable option.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption