If when I was 18 my parents got a car loan for me in their name, how do I get them to sign it over to me?

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2014

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Feb 25, 2014Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If when I was 18 my parents got a car loan for me in their name, how do I get them to sign it over to me?

I am now 21. I have made all payments, paid for the insurance and maintenance, etc. I just paid it off last month and now the refuse to give me the title and sign it over to me. I paid with checks every time so I can get proof of the payments and I’m sure that I can get proof of the insurance payments for the last 2 years. What are my rights?

Asked on February 25, 2014 under Business Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

I would simply ask and writeyour parents for the title to the car reminding them that you have made all the payments and that you are an adult now and the car no longer has a loan on it. If they refuse, I would ask them for the reasons in not doing so. If they refuse to sign over title, your recourse is for filing a legal action against them for tht etitle which will probably cause more harm than good in the end.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption