When does the 6 month waiting period officially start for a divorce?

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 6, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When does the 6 month waiting period officially start for a divorce?

The date the petition is filed, the date my spouse received and signed the petition, or the acknowledgement was signed?

Asked on October 6, 2011 under Family Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

The laws and the time limits associated with them can be very confusing.  You are correct that California has a statutory 6 month waiting period as a minimum waiting period in order to obtain a divorce.  The reasoning is based upon the fact that California is a no-fault divorce state.  But it is really 6 months and one day waiting period and the 6 months begins when the divorce paperwork is actually filed and the respondent (your husband here I assume) has been properly served.  If he signed or accepted service I would assume that this would be the date.  The waiting period is designed to make sure both spouses have had enough time to think about the decision to divorce before the court dissolves the marriage. If, at the end of the six months, either party still desires a divorce, the court will dissolve the marriage. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption