When does abuse of power/harassment occur by a police officer?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When does abuse of power/harassment occur by a police officer?

One of my neighbors is a police officer not in our town, but in the town where I work. One day, while driving home from work, he pulled me over. He approached my vehicle and asked if I knew who he was. He proceeded to tell me that he lived on my street. He said that he felt that I drove a little fast sometimes on our street and ‘he never said anything to me because it was not his jurisdiction.’ He then said, ‘but this is my jurisdiction.’ He then told me to slow down on our street. After all of this, he told me that he pulled me over for my window tint. He then sent me on my way with NO warning about the window tint, just telling me to slow down on our street. New Link Destination
day the same officer pulled me over on my way to work. I immediately asked him why he pulled me over and he replied, ‘because of your window tint.’ He issued me a warning and a 10 day notice to remove the window tint. I feel that he is simply targeting me for window tint when he really wants to get me for, what he considers, speeding in our neighborhood. Is there anything that I can do about this?

Asked on March 16, 2018 under General Practice, Pennsylvania


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

If the tint is legal, you could file a complaint with the police department for his harassing you when you have done nothing wrong. But if the tint is illegal (e.g. more than is allowed), his motives do not matter: if you violate the law, an office can stop you, warn you, or issue you a citation for it.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption