When does a 60 day notice in increase in rent begin?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When does a 60 day notice in increase in rent begin?

Hello. My rent is due on the 1st of each month. In the beginning of the month, after I payed the rent and the landlord cleared a check, I got a 60 day notice from him about the increase in rent and the 60 day period starts at the 15th of the current payed month.
Is he correct with the date? Does a 60 day period have to start at the 1st day of the next month in my case? Thank you

Asked on June 12, 2016 under Real Estate Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

It has to be at least 60 days from when the increase goes into effect, and if you pay your rent on the 1st under the lease, that means it goes into effect the first of the 1st month that is at least 60 days after the notice date.
So, say you receive a 60-day notice on June 6; sixty days is August 5, but your rent is due in advance for August on August 1st, so the the "first 1st" the notice could take effect is for September rent (due Sept. 1st).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption