When do I have to reveal information?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When do I have to reveal information?

There was an altercation of words at my apartment, off college campus grounds.
The Altercation was between two of my guests and my now ex-roommate because of a
conversation my ex-roommate was eavesdropping on. My ex-roommate has since gone
to the dean and the dean is demanding to know the names of my guests. Nothing
criminal or illegal occurred that night just an exchange of words. Am I within my
legal right to refuse to give the Dean the names of my guest?

Asked on October 12, 2016 under Personal Injury, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Under the law generally, you would not have to reveal to a private person (the dean) or entity (the college) this information unless properly subpoenaed for it in the context of a lawsuit. But your college's  code of student conduct, discriplinary rules, and/or any agreement(s) you signed in matriculating may require you to comply with the dean's request; if so, you would be obligated contractually (by signing up to go to school there, you agree to follow their rules) to provide the information. You could respectfully state to dean's office that you would prefer not to do this, but that if they believe they have the authority to require this, ask if they can provide you that authority (e.g. the pages in the student handbook or rules of conduct). Review whatever authority they provide: you can then decide if you must honor this request.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption