When completing a financial affidavit for a divorce and both parties live in the same house, should both of them include the same expenses?

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 20, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When completing a financial affidavit for a divorce and both parties live in the same house, should both of them include the same expenses?

My wife and I are in the process of a divorce. I received the Domestic Relations Financial Affidavit from her lawyer. She included in her expense section all the household expenses, including mortgage, property taxes, etc. However she is not paying these expenses – I am. She currently lives in one room of the house, with shared access to the kitchen, living room and other areas. She currently is not contributing the the house in any way. I would think I would be the only one that could claim these expenses, as I am the one paying.

Asked on June 20, 2011 under Family Law, Georgia


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I can understand how you may in fact be quite annoyed by the situation as you describe it.  But what you do not realize is that the affidavits are intended to make the court aware of your financial obligations and not only what you are actually paying out of your pocket.  That information wil come to light as well.  In the meantime if her name is on the mortgage it is still her obligation to pay it even though she is not.  Same holds true for the car loan, the utilities, the credit card bills, etc.  I would really suggest that you seek help from an attorney in your area on the matter as soon as you possibly can.  Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption