When can I legally declare my spouse dead?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When can I legally declare my spouse dead?

I live in arkansas and i havent seen or heard from my husband in 4 years. I don’t know if he moved or if he is dead. His last known address doesn’t even know where he is. I wasn’t close to his family

and his friends hate me he blocked me on social media.

Asked on February 17, 2018 under Family Law, Arkansas


Stephanie Emanuel / Ahsan A. Syed, PSC INC

Answered 4 years ago | Contributor

The situation you have presented appears to be abandonment, which is a ground for divorce in many states. You can file for divorce by publication since you do not know his whereabouts and there is no way for finding him. You will need to demonstrate to the court that you diligently tried to search him but couldn't find him and therefore you are requesting a divorce by publication. This might cost around $3,000 or more.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption