When awarded social security, do you have pay long term disibility insurance any overpayments from SSI?

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 13, 2010Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When awarded social security, do you have pay long term disibility insurance any overpayments from SSI?

Recieving long term disibility insurance, but had to retire and apply for SSI. They won’t cut my insurance in half once awarded,.What does long term disability and have to do with each other?

Asked on July 13, 2010 under Insurance Law, Georgia


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

SSI, or Supplemental Security Income is paid from different funds than Social Security.  Social Security has a different test for you to qualify. To determine which impacts the other and how to get the most benefits, you need to contact the Social Security Administration and go over your award from Social Security as well as your previous benefits from SSI to determine which is going to rule the other.  Both Social Security Disability Program and SSI are disability programs but each has different qualifiers and eligbility requirements.  If you are worried about your benefits, try contacting legal aid or the bar in your state to locate low cost or no cost legal help to at least go over your qualifications to ensure you continue your application or reward through the correct program.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption