When and how can I compel an accounting ofsomeone holding a durable POA?

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jul 22, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When and how can I compel an accounting ofsomeone holding a durable POA?

My brother has durable power of attorney over my mother who has alzheimers and lives in a nursing home somewhere in NJ. Though he has refused to tell me where she lives now, what proper action can I take to see my mother? What rights do I have? I would like a full accounting and overview of his management of her funds since he became POA. How can that be done? Will that be done when she is deceased?

Asked on July 22, 2011 New Jersey


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your situation and for your Mother's condition.  Her condition is hard enough on you to have to worry about your brother.  You have two options here:  you can wait until your Mother passes away (the POA dies with her) and then ask to be appointed as the fiduciary or personal representative of her estate and then demand that he account for his dealings.  But at that point in time he may have dissipated  - used up or squandered - all of her funds and assets.  The you would have the right to sue him but if the estate is broke you would be footing the bill.  And if he is broke then where would you be?  So what you can do is to petition the court to be the conservator of her estate now and to rescind the POA.  You would then have the power to go through her books, so to speak.  Speak with an attorney in your area.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption