When a town sanctioned activity becomes a nuisance, what recourse do I have?

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Sep 30, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

When a town sanctioned activity becomes a nuisance, what recourse do I have?

The town I live in has multiple little league fields in the middle of a neighborhood. There is less then adequate parking, the overflow parking lines the streets making navigating difficult. Parents unload their children and

equipment in the center of a 4-way intersection. That coupled with the free-for-all parking makes it dangerous. These activities have become so bad that we are considering moving. We love our home and don’t want to have to move but we simply cannot enjoy our property because of the nuisance. What legal recourse do we have?

Asked on September 18, 2016 under Real Estate Law, New Jersey


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

As a practical matter, there is little or nothing you can do if the town itself will not enforce the parking and traffic safety laws. Clearly, they could, if they chose: what you describe violates any number of traffic laws and the town could giving out moving violations for unloading passengers in the middle of an intersection (reckless or careless driving, for example) and could ticket anyone parking illegally. But if the town police refuse to do this, there is no other agency to enforce those laws locally. All you could do is try to exert political pressure (e.g. try to elect candidates to town council who will take the laws more seriously).

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption