If renting a duplex that has a swimming pool, which tenant is responsible for the electric used to run the pool pump?

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

If renting a duplex that has a swimming pool, which tenant is responsible for the electric used to run the pool pump?

When I viewed the property where I reside I noticed the pool and its pump. I asked who pays for the electric? The landlord stated that it had a splitter and the electric was split between units and only cost a couple dollars a month. I moved in and received huge electric bills and checked the meters with a flick of the switches. I found out it was running solely on my electric. No where on my lease does it state that my unit is responsible for the pools electric. Am I? I am disabled, poor, and very depressed about this matter. What can I do?

Asked on September 20, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Florida


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

If you have a written lease, you need to carefully read it in that its terms and conditions control the obligations owed to you by the landlord and vice versa over the rental in the absence of confliciting state law.

You need to do the following:

1. call the landlord over the excessive electrical charges to your unit for the swimming pool that you do not use and which the entirety of its costs is attributed to your unit seeking a way to reduce your electrical bill followed up with a confirming letter seeking a date to resolve this issue.

2. if not resolved by a set date with the landlord, go down to the local permit and building department to inquire about separate meters for the swimming pool and other requirements for such and see if people there can assist.

3. in your call with the landlord and following letter, reference what he stated about the electricity being split between the units and that it was not expensive for the swimming pool.

If you do not get the respinse desired, contact your local "legal aid" program assuming there is one or your local county bar association to see if there is a program where attorneys volunteer to help people such as you needing assistance in legal clinics.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption