What is the sentence for theft over $1,000?

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Apr 26, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What is the sentence for theft over $1,000?

Have never been in trouble before. Can you just get probation?

Asked on April 26, 2011 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

Since you are facing criminal charges, you should have legal representation in this matter.  An experienced defense lawyer might be able to get the charge dismissed on a technicality, possibly at least get it reduced, or win an acquittal at trial.  Since you are a first-time offender, a criminal law attorney can help you arrange for "diversion" (or TN's equivalent). This is an alternative sentencing program whereby you plead guilty to the charge, receive a special probation, and if you successfully complete it, the charge will be withdrawn and your case dismissed.  Additionally, your record should be automatically cleared.  However, diversion is typically only allowed for a first offense.  This means that if you ever again get into trouble, it will not be available to you at that later time.  That is why if you get an attorney who is able to get the charge dismissed, you will be eligible for diversion in the future if she should need it. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption