Whats my next step if I was unknowingly married to 2 different women at the same time?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

Whats my next step if I was unknowingly married to 2 different women at the same time?

My first marriage was not legally declared divorced until after I was already married to my second wife. Obviously, no one person can be married to 2 separate people at the same time, so the second marriage is null and void. Now, what do I have to do in order to prove to the second wife that our marriage is not valid? Do I need the court to declare it? I do not want to be married to the second wife at all. However, we do have a child together. The child was conceived prior to the marriage and born during the marriage. What can I expect to happen with the child custody, child support, etc.?

Asked on October 4, 2017 under Family Law, Michigan


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

In a situation such as this, you can file for and obtain an anullment. This will clear up any legal complications that this "second" marraige may have caused. As for your child, that is a seperate issue and custody, visitation and support will need to be determined by the courts.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption