What’s going to happen to me when I go to court for a first offense misdeameanor for shoplifting?

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jan 5, 2011Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What’s going to happen to me when I go to court for a first offense misdeameanor for shoplifting?

I got caught shoplifting at a store and got a ticket for misdemeanor and have court next month. I don’t have documentation since I’m an immigrant in the US. This is the first time I have done something like this and was wondering what’s going to happen to me when I go to court? Will I be sent to jail or will I just have to pay a fine? I told the officer that I was guilty and so when I go to court I don’t think that I can say I am not since he probably put it in his report. Will I get deported because of this? Should I get a lawyer or are the free ones from the court good enough? I don’t have much money.

Asked on January 5, 2011 under Criminal Law, California


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 12 years ago | Contributor

I know that you must be very nervous about all of this.  The best thing for you to do is to have an attorney appointedon your behalf when you get before the Judge in Court.  Now, in New York certain misdemeanor offenses are considered deportable offenses.  It really depends on the type of offense before the court.  However, you can only be deported for these offenses if you plead guilty so it is very important that you speak with your attorney about the facts and circumstances surrounding the offense and what he or she may be able to work out with the prosecuting attorney.  And in the meantime try and do what you can to obtain a visa and become legal so you do not have to worry.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption