What would I include on a small estate affidavit for filing a claim on my father’s life insurance policy?

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Jun 23, 2015Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would I include on a small estate affidavit for filing a claim on my father’s life insurance policy?

There was a quit claim deed on his home for me and my sister. We were listed as POD’s on his bank accounts and he owned a vehicle, which we have sold. Do I need to include all of these items on the affidavit? Nothing will be going through probate.

Asked on June 23, 2015 under Estate Planning, Illinois


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

I am so sorry for your loss.  I am a little unclear about the life insrance policy after you made the statement "nothing will go through probate."  If there is a beneficary listed on the policy designation form then there really is no need for the small estate affidavit.  It passes to those listed without the need for probate.  The small estate affidavit lists non probate assets.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption