What would an illegitimate child, who never met nor was acknowledged be entitled to from the child’s biological father death?

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022

Advertiser Disclosure

It’s all about you. We want to help you make the right legal decisions.

We strive to help you make confident insurance and legal decisions. Finding trusted and reliable insurance quotes and legal advice should be easy. This doesn’t influence our content. Our opinions are our own.

UPDATED: Oct 1, 2022Fact Checked

Get Legal Help Today

Compare Quotes From Top Companies and Save

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption

What would an illegitimate child, who never met nor was acknowledged be entitled to from the child’s biological father death?

The natural child learned who the child’s biological father was through
investigation, to the extent the child tracked down an ex wife and their
children. The child was able to arrange a DNA test between the child and one of
the children which concluded without doubt they were related. Child is now 50
yrs old and is seeking nothing from the biological father, just inquisitive who
the father might be, appearance and health information relative to child’s

Asked on June 23, 2019 under Estate Planning, Hawaii


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

If the father has a will which leaves all his property to specifically identified other persons, the illegitimate child is entitled to nothing, since there is no inherent right for a child to inherit: children may be disiherited by giving everything to others.
But if there is a will leaving anything to "my children" (rather than identifying by name the children who inherit), as a child, the illegitimate one would be entitled to a share, too.
And if there is no will, then he or she will inherit what any child would when there is not will.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.

Get Legal Help Today

Find the right lawyer for your legal issue.

secured lock Secured with SHA-256 Encryption